Pages

Hairless Fox

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The other day while walking to the bus stop I came across an incredibly rare animal: the Hairless Fox. I've heard all about them living in Steamboat, and only Steamboat, but haven't seen one since I moved here exactly one year ago. Apparently they are the same species as regular fox, but they have a disease that causes them to lose their hair. They are said to be no more of a danger than any other wild animals in the area. Unfortunately, it's difficult for them to stay warm so they have to eat a lot more than regular foxes in order to survive. It's believed that they can regrow their hair to help them survive through the winter. Regardless of how ugly they are I was very excited to see one and have the opportunity to take a picture!

This is the picture I took
Here is a close up shot I found online

3 comments:

paperchase said...

Hi, I live in Arnold, MD near Annapolis. We walk to the local golf course in the evenings. We have seen a hairless fox twice. Thanks to your photos, we have been able to identify this mysterious animal. It crosses the road with woods on either side at dusk. We will continue to look for it and try and get a photo.
Where is Steamboat? Thanks, ABVS

Bobbie Jo said...

Hello! Sorry if you have been waiting a while for a response, I moved my blog to wordpress and rarely check this one. (The site is http://cmcbobbiejo.wordpress.com/). Steamboat Springs is in Colorado. I'd love to see a picture if you are able to get one!

paperchase said...

Thanks for responding....I have not yet been able to get a photo. I saw an adult one and then saw an offspring. We have seen the offspring a couple of times. An unusual looking animal. When the younger one was sitting in the middle of the street,it's head looked a sleek cat only larger. Then it got up and ran into the woods. We will keep looking. Thanks and let me know any new news. Paperchase

Stat Counter

Search This Blog