Pages

Thanksgiving Blues

Saturday, November 21, 2009

A little over a year ago I moved out here on my own. I didn't know a single person in this town and had no idea what to expect. Living far away from home can be difficult, especially during the holiday season. I have a huge family and every time my mom talks about a new baby or wedding coming up I can't help but feel like I'm missing out by not being there. These are the functions I used to despise but now miss more than anything. If you are at school for Thanksgiving and feel a little homesick here are some ways I like to kiss the blues goodbye...

Sleeping In- When I lived at home my mom had one rule about "sleeping in". We had to be up be 11 because by that point enough of the day was already wasted. I still find it difficult to break that rule even though my mom is 1500 miles away. Although I agree with her philosophy I sometimes let myself sleep in until noon and feel a little mischievous knowing that I have broken one of the rules I both loved and hated back home.

Care Packages- There is absolutely nothing more exciting than going home to find a care package on my front door step. Every time I take a bite of my dad's homemade salsa I am reminded of the countless concoctions we were forced to try as he perfected his recipe. Nothing says "we miss you" like sending a little piece of New York to Colorado.

Imitating Mom's Home Cooking- When I create a meal my parents once made for me on a regular basis I can't help but feel at home. The familiar tastes bring back memories of our hilarious dinner conversations. Plus it's fun sharing recipes with friends and seeing if they enjoy them.

Pictures- Our apartment is loaded with pictures. I recently put up about 30 of my favorite memories above my dresser. It's nice to step back, look at each of them and laugh at the good times they represent.

Try New Things- I came out here for a change of pace. I was tired of living in the city and wanted to explore the ski town lifestyle. Every time I have the opportunity to try something new I try to embrace it. It's a constant reminder of why I came out here- to grow as a person and keep learning more.

Facebook- It's not just for college kids anymore. My mom came from a family of 11 so I have plenty of aunts, uncles and cousins to keep track of. Thankfully, many of them are signed up. I can't make daily phone calls to everyone so it's a great way to stay in touch. In fact, it puts me ahead of the game as I often find out big news (babies, engagements, etc) before my gossip queen mom.

Frequent Phone Calls- Thankfully my parents are there to answer phone calls almost 24/7. This may mean 2am when I forget that there's a time difference or 6am when my dad is up way too early working. Talking to family and friends back home always cheers me up because I am reminded of how little distance really matters.

0 comments:

Stat Counter

Search This Blog